Peri-Peri and Sesame Seed Chicken with Zucchini Fries [Dairy free, Gluten Free, Grains Free, Low Carb, Sugar Free]
Going back to basics that worked for me in the past as I fight my food demons, has proved an imperative these past 14 days. I have reflected a lot on what kept the momentum in devising my own foodie options that kept me sated, as well as assisted with my initial weight loss and I dwelled on the importance of keeping my meals clean while observing the protocols of the Paleo Whole 30 programme.
Research has played a vital role in re-defining my healthier food choices as well as practically trying and testing alternative grains-free flours that work well in creating meals that I enjoy. The numerous shared recipes on this blog bear testament to this. It’s through understanding how they work in meal preparation and on my blood-glucose levels, that have allowed me to achieve success in the recipes that I blog, and in my weight-loss journey.
It’s these tried and tested, many self-designed recipes that are working for me and for those that have followed me throughout my foodie blogging and weight loss journey. This make of thinly sliced chicken fillet, in a peri-peri powdered spice and tapioca flour blend is no exception. Those who enjoy spicy food, will love it. Of course, the amount of peri-peri spice may be altered to suit your taste, and the pure spice may be replaced with mixed herbs, Italian herbs or whatever your clean dry spice preference may be.
I used one very large filleted chicken breast weighing around 150g for this make and it was sufficient for two meals, leaving me well-sated after each meal. The Zucchini fries comprised the slicing of 6 small zucchini (baby marrow / courgettes) into four lengthwise, spraying with extra-virgin olive oil, lightly dusted with masala, then placed on a baking tray lined with baking paper, then baked for about 15 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180º celsius. I seasoned with freshly ground sea salt after it was baked.
Following these easy steps will deliver you a really good tasting chicken breast meal – turning drab low-fat and low carb chicken meat into delicious crunchy(if you prefer) tender baked strips. You may want to pair it with higher carbohydrate baked or air fryer sweet potato chips for a more filling meal. This make will tick all the boxes in a good tasting alternative to store bought, less healthier chicken breast strips 🙂
You will need
150g chicken breast fillets, sliced into thin strips
½ cup Arrow Root powder OR Tapioca flour
½-1 tsp peri-peri spice powder OR spice / dried herbs as preferred
Himalayan / Sea salt to taste
Freshly milled black pepper(optional)
1 large egg, whisked
extra-virgin olive oil to baste the chicken strips
sesame seeds, to sprinkle over before baking.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breast, then slice into thin strips.
- Prepare a small oven tray by lining it with baking paper and keep nearby.
- On a plate, add the peri-peri spice, black pepper (if using) and salt to the arrow root poweder or tapioca flour and mix them well to ensure that the spices and salt combine evenly.
- Whisk the egg and pour into a wide brimmed plate.
- Set up an assembly line on your kitchen counter top by lining up in the order of chicken strips, whisked egg, tapioca flour mix and the baking tray.
- Coat each chicken strip generously with the egg, roll in the tapioca flour mixture to coat the chicken strip well, shaking off any excess tapioca flour, then place the coated chicken on the baking paper lined tray. Repeat until all the chicken strips have been used up.
- Place the oven tray into the refrigerator and chill the chicken in the refrigerator for 1½-2 hours to allow the coating to adhere well to the chicken breast strips.
- When ready to bake, preheat a conventional oven at 180º celsius.
- Baste on the extra-virgin olive oil on each strip, ensure an even baste. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on generously.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the desired bake is reached. You may want to turn the oven to the grill function in the last 3 minutes or so, for a crunchier taste and texture.
- Remove and serve as desired.