Chicken and Veggies Quiche [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Low Carb, Sugar free]
A very impromptu make, actually a dinner make that went wrong, or perhaps right? The intention was to have a chicken stir-fry last night, and at the last 5 minutes of cooking, the recipe evolved into this really tasty, easy quiche bake 🙂
I realised that this is based on a 2016 make in this tasty Quiche, different this time though without any nut flour and presenting in a creamy tasting softly edible, yet firmly set explosion of flavours. Still using two eggs, but with added coconut cream, lends this make into a regular quiche make, and a comfortable 2 serving meal size.
I loved that working with a smaller quantity of ingredients meant that that was no storing in the refrigerator for later, among the weeks meal preparation and that there was no need to have the same meal for days on end. This quiche could also double up as a crust-less pizza, and served with a salad, a refreshing and filling meal for the Summer time, and, equally comfort food for Winter or when the need arises.
UPDATE: A health conscious Keto / Low Carber and fitness junkie tried out this recipe yesterday after I shared it, and they added cheese for those that include dairy protein in their lifestyles – I can only imagine from my past Atkins Low Carb experience, how amazing this must taste and how filling it must be! 🙂
Easy to prepare and quick to make, a 40-60 minute make and bake that may be flavour enhanced as you desire. The fillings of choice may vary too, as you prefer.
2 (150g) small chicken breasts, thinly sliced
200g stir fry veggies – julienne sliced cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, spinach as preferred.
1 tblsp ghee or extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion finely sliced
1-2 green chilli’s ,optional
1 tsp freshly ground garlic and ginger
a sprinkling of cumin seeds and 1 whole cinnamon stick
Freshly milled black pepper to taste
Himalayan or Sea Salt to taste
2 large eggs
1/2 cup thickened coconut cream (sugars free) +¼ cup cold water
chilli flakes or dried herbs of choice to garnish.
- Heat a non-stick large pan / wok on medium stove top heat.
- Add in the oil of choice and the cinnamon stick and cumin seeds, if using.
- As the seeds begin to splutter, add in the sliced onion and sauté for 2 minutes, then add in the garlic and ginger and if using, the green chilli.
- Once the onion mix has softened, add in the chicken and briskly stir fry for 5 minutes, then add in the veggies and stir fry for a further 3-5 minutes until the veggies are stir-fry ready.
- You may season with salt and black pepper or add the seasoning to the egg mix.
- Preheat a conventional oven to 180° C.
- Whisk the eggs and coconut cream (I find that working with refrigerated coconut cream works well, it thickens better) and water, season with salt and black pepper if you did not season the chicken and veggies.
- You may add the chicken and veggies mix into non-stick or lightly greased baking pan and pour the egg and coconut cream over OR, you may add the cooled chicken and veggie mix into the whisked coconut cream and egg mixture and combine them well then pour this into the baking pan or your choice of bakingware. The latter method is what I used for this recipe.
- Sprinkle over dried chilli flakes or herbs, as preferred. Fresh herbs may be use too.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, until the quick is set. A skewer inserted into the quiche, which is clean and clear when removed, renders the quiche cooked.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and serve with a crisp and fresh salad.
- The quiche refrigerates well for up to 3 days in a sealed container. For a larger quiche, double the ingredients and increase the baking time by 10-15 minutes