Tumeric Chicken and Saucy Butternut Spaghetti [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Sugar free, Low Carb, Paleo]
I love the use of turmeric in cooking, a staple that goes into our meals at least 5-6 times a week. For the family, powdered turmeric forms the basis to curry cooking and a healing spice that we naturally gravitate to, with experienced cooking skills of just the right amount to use, combined with the other flavouring ingredients that assist in delivering a tasty meal.
I often peruse the ingredients of recipes that are published and wonder how the quantities advised are reached, as food flavouring is much of a personal choice, being cautious not to allow it to overpower the other ingredients and the base of meat and / or vegetables. Tumeric is an ingredient that requires caution when using it as a flavour enhancer, as it has the potential to deliver a bitter tasting end result. In the mix of other ingredients, it’s important that a balance in flavours is created.
In creating this magnificent tasting meal, I wanted a less spicy chicken so that the saucy butternut spaghetti base pulls through and I thoroughly enjoy a chicken “pasta” meal. I wasn’t disappointed in this creation – using sweeter Bella tomatoes and fresh coriander, tinged with a hint of fresh green Thai chilli, I’m glad I experimented this way. Move off fresh basil and move in fresh coriander, for a very refreshing addition to pasta sauce 🙂
This is a filling and nutritionally dense, clean meal that is very easy to prepare, with the marinated chicken breast, and simple ingredients, lightly fried in coconut oil, both the turmeric chicken and the coconut oil bring together gut-healing in this meal too.
FOR THE SAUCY BUTTERNUT SPAGHETTI
300g spiralised butternut
4 Bella tomatoes (these are small in size)
2 Thai green chillies (as preferred, you may omit)
a handful of fresh coriander, stems included
1 tsp crushed fresh garlic
1 tblsp tomato paste (sugar free)
Himalayan or Sea salt to taste
Freshly milled black pepper if preferred
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- De-stem the tomatoes and green chilli, wash and dry them, and add them, together with the fresh coriander into a blender and pulse until a thick tomato sauce forms.
- Heat a non-stick pot on medium stove top heat, add in the olive oil and once hot, pour in the freshly prepared tomato sauce, then add in the garlic and tomato paste, and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes until the sauce thickens and the ingredients are all combined. Give this sauce a stir or two during the cooking to mix the ingredients well together.
- Add in the butternut spaghetti, salt to taste, and cook until the butternut softens, about another 8 minutes or so.
- Keep the pot on the stove, covered and warm while the chicken is being cooked.
FOR THE CARDAMOM, CUMIN & TUMERIC CHICKEN
150g chicken breasts, cut into pieces
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp garam masala (optional)
1 tsp freshly ground garlic and ginger paste
1 tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Himalayan or Sea Salt to taste
1 tlsp organic coconut oil
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1-2 cardamom pods
- Wash and drain the chicken pieces well.
- Add the chicken to a dish and add the ingredients up to the salt, mix them all well to coat the chicken, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of two hours to all the flavours to combine.
- When ready to cook, heat a non-sick frying pan on medium stove top heat, add in the coconut oil and once the oil is hot, add in the cardamom pod(s) and cumin seeds and allow them to reach sizzle point, which takes about a minute or two – ensuring the release of toasted flavours.
- Add in the chicken pieces and cook for about 5 minutes, turning the chicken half-way during the cooking time.
- Plate the warm butternut spaghetti, discard the cardamom pod(s), add on the cooked chicken and garnish with fresh herbs, desired. Serve immediately.