Masala Cauliflower Eggs [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Low Carb, Paleo, Sugar free]
Cauliflower and eggs as I know it, has been a meal relished by our family over the decades. I suppose it stems from making meals stretch during our growing up days, when there were many hungry mouths to feed, mostly in extended families, as I and many others experienced. This developed into a traditional family meal, and as I recall, fresh cauliflower from my dear Grans back garden and egg from the backyard hen roost… amazing real food memories!
This masala cauliflower recipe is loosely based on my cauliflower curry blogged 3 years ago, with slight ingredient adjustments to make this another easy and quick meal to cook. That I enjoyed it for breakfast, made this a filling meal, saving half for lunch with cooked chicken breast worked well too. It’s a nutritionally dense meal that can be enjoyed on its own or as a side accompaniment to cooked meat and / or veggies and one that is thoroughly enjoyable for those who enjoy super low carbohydrate cauliflower.
I used a non-stick frying pan for this make, and it worked well in ensuring that once the eggs were added, there was no sticking to the base, as it occurs in a regular aluminium pot, as we cooked it way back then.
This is another tasty traditional recipe that adds variety to a healthy lifestyle, one that is guaranteed to work well in a low carb lifestyle too. I used ghee which produced a luxuriously fabulous taste. Having used extra-virgin coconut oil in previous makes, you may enjoy the exotic, nutty taste that the coconut oil delivers. Comfortably serving two, and using fresh cauliflower, this recipe may be doubled or tripled as required.
200g cauliflower florets, chopped as desired
4 large eggs, whisked
1 tblsp ghee OR 2 tbslp coconut oil OR 1½ tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 small cinnamon stick
2 cloves (optional)
2 cloves fresh garlic minced
1-1½ tblsp mixed masala (sugar free, wheat free) OR
- ¼ tsp black pepper, milled
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp tumeric powder
Himalayan / Sea salt to taste
Fresh coriander or mint to garnish
Optional: 1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
- Wash and chop the fresh cauliflower florets into bite sized pieces
- In a non-stick frying pan on medium-high stove top heat, heat the ghee, add the seed spices and once they begin to sizzle, add the onion and garlic and saute then until the onions are soft and change hue.
- Now add in the masala or separate powdered spices and spoon them well to combine with the onion and garlic mixture. You may add about 3 tablespoons of boiling water, if preferred. Allow the masala and onions to saute for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower pieces and stir fry for about 5 minutes, until the cauliflower begins to soften.
- Now add in the beaten eggs, salt to taste, and, using a wooden spoon, mix the eggs in well, stirring until the eggs are absorbed into the cauliflower and the eggs are cooked.
- Once cooked, garnish with chopped fresh coriander or mint, and serve immediately as desired.