Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Sugar free, Vegan]
Just when I thought I had reached the ceiling in preparing sweet potato meals, I realised I hadn’t blogged this sweet potato recipe that I have often made using various other veggies in a quick to go to recipe when my stock of homemade bone broth or homemade liquid stock is depleted.
Today’s sub 10° cold Winter temperature begged soup making, and this make worked well for a meatless Monday beginning. This is such an amazingly easy and quick soup to make, without laborious braising of ingredients and the half an hour to put this together is indeed worth the effort.
While the list of ingredients is a guide, and is indeed delivers a soup that is deliciously tantalising, somewhat sweet, yet tangy in taste, the ingredients may be altered to suit your taste buds. I used coconut amino’s as a replacement for soy sauce, and if you don’t include soy in your eating plans, or don’t have coconut amino’s in your grocery stock, then you may increase the apple cider vinegar to suit your taste. Fresh lemon juice also adds a crisp taste spin. A very much taste-and-add as you go along recipe, with coconut milk adding the over the top creaminess required. I have included water in the recipe, to make this soup less thick. You decide the texture that you wish to create 🙂 The blend of Indian spices combined with cinnamon powder creates a beautiful taste difference.
The method of making this soup is amazing. One that is perfect for those on the go who wish to prepare a quick and effortless soup without the wait. The roasting of the sweet potato’s is the imperative, combined with cumin seeds, they add amazing taste depth to the sweet potato. There’s no one word to describe the taste of this soup – deliciously tantalising is a beginning 🙂
500g sweet potato (peeled weight, washed and cubed)
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
400ml coconut milk (sugar free)
2 tsp paprika (regular or smoked)
¾ – 1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp coconut aminos (Optional – you may increase the apple cider vinegar to taste)
1 cup water
Himalayan or Sea salt to taste
Freshly milled black pepper, if preferred
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Optional: 2 tblsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- While you prepare the sweet potato, preheat a conventional oven to 180° celsius.
- Wash and dry the sweet potato, coat with the olive oil and sprinkle the cumin seeds over. You may spoon the sweet potato to incorporate the cumin seeds evenly.
- Oven roast the sweet potato until cooked. This takes about 15-20 minutes
- If you have a blender, add the roasted sweet potato and coconut milk and all the ingredients, excluding the water, into the blender and blend until smooth. Add water to create the consistency required
- Now pour the soup into a non stick pot and heat on low- medium stove top heat, until hot,
- If you only have a stick blender, add all the ingredients into a non stick pot and blend until the desired smoothness is reached. Therafter heat as indicated above.
- At this stage you may want to adjust the seasoning, as required.
- Serve as desired.