Banana’s and dates…both natural sweeteners and refined sugar replacements that work well to sate the sugar craving, and, blend together amazingly in a cake or sweet bread or muffin treat. Combined with my favourite nut based flour, almond flour, delivers a decadently nutty and sweet tasting cake for a special occasion. Almond flour remains my choice, in nut based flours for baking, and while I use coconut flour often too, I find that the latter does not fare well in some recipes, due to it’s rapid absorbency and quick drying properties. Also, as it’s a thirsty camel in nut flours, most larger quantity bread and cake recipes turn out egg tasting – very off putting for many.
My blog is awash with recipes which include both banana’s and dates, from muffins to dessert options to this amazing banana bread recipe, with walnuts and raisins, that featured in the September 2014 edition of YOU Best diets, which also included my story of curing metabolic syndrome disease through following a gluten free, and, sugar free lifestyle.
This amazing, nutty tasting cake was developed out of the a combination of the recipes for banana bread and muffins on this blog. Other sweetener alternatives tried in this cake are applesauce, applesauce and raisins blend, honey-nut butter and raw honey, the latter working the best as a sweetener combined with the banana. The amount of sweetener required may be adjusted to suit individual tastes. Baked on a lower baking oven temperature for a little less than an hour, it worked to bake this cake to perfection. I chose to omit raw cacao or organic, sugar free cocoa powder from this recipe simply to gauge how it would fair without out. You may include 2 tablespoons of the chocolaty tasting powder for a banana, chocolate and date cake.
Serving 8, this is gluten free cake bake, for special occasions, but in moderation for those watching waistlines, is another must try!
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories 201g; Fat 13.9g; Carbohydrates 17.3g; Dietary Fibre 3g; Sugars 9.6g Protein 5.8g
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup dates, (dried or fresh, pitted and chopped) OR ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder (½ tsp bicarbonate of soda + ½ tsp cream of tartar)
- ½ tsp nutmeg (powder or grated)
- ½ tsp Himalayan or Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a cake tin or loaf tin with coconut oil or olive oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Mix eggs and apple cider vinegar together in a bowl and add in the bananas, coconut oil, dates, and vanilla extract and stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- Sift the almond flour, cinnamon, gluten free baking powder, nutmeg and salt together in a large bowl; stir into banana mixture until well blended. Pour batter into prepared baking tin or loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cake or loaf has cooled completely, you may top with whipped coconut cream (flavoured with vanilla extract and / or fresh lime juice and fresh berries, as preferred.