From the annals of my earlier tried and tested recipes, my Paleo chocolate mousse or ABC Mousse is a very easy to make, and a popular one. Reading up on Paleo chocolate mousse recipes on the interweb recently, I came across one with chilli flakes, and this was a must try for me. Noveau cuisine, or is it Mexican cuisine, that introduced the chilli-chocolate wave? Whoever did, I’m grateful for this discovery – it is one that the chilli lover -learning-to-love-chocolate-person in me is highly supportive of
Again, simple ingredients with added chilli flakes and the scrapings of a vanilla pod blended, produce a decadently rich chocolate mouse. In my original recipe I used almond milk with the alternative of coconut milk. This recipe uses coconut cream, the thick topping of a can of refrigerated coconut milk or the topping of home made coconut milk, un-diluted.
Very easy to make, this is a chocolate dessert that is high in antioxidants due to the raw cacao powder, anti-inflammatory (red chilli flakes) nutrients and healthy fats. A must make for ardent chocolate fans looking for a simple yet decadent chocolaty fix. To reduce the high carbohydrate count caused by the banana, reduce the amount of banana, and increase the healthier fat options in avocado and coconut cream. While I used a touch of organic coconut nectar to sweeten this delightful choccie treat, raw honey, maple syrup even date paste will work for those looking for added sweetness beyond the banana and coconut cream.
This dessert treat, which makes 4-6 servings, is best served chilled, and may be whipped up quickly for that unexpected craving soother too. I guarantee, you will be making this treat when you seek out chocolate You may up the amount of chilli flakes or omit totally, both versions deliver a decadent dessert or (cheat) treat sensation.
1½ ripe bananas
2 small OR 1 large ripe avocado, preferably Haas
3 tblsp coconut cream (sugar and preservatives free OR the topping off a can of chilled coconut milk)
6 tblsp raw cacao powder OR Gluten free / organic cocoa powder
½ vanilla pod scrapings or ¼ tsp vanilla powder
1-2 tblsp coconut nectar OR date syrup OR maple syrup OR raw honey
½ – 1 tsp red chilli flakes
A pinch of Himalayan or Sea salt
To garnish: tasted coconut flakes, raw cacao nibs, dark chocolate flakes, berries and chilli flakes
- Halve the avocado (s) and remove the pith. Scoop out the flesh and add to a food processor or blender, together with the chopped banana and raw cacao powder. Blend until smooth and the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the avocado mixture to a bowl and add the coconut cream, vanilla pod scrapings and, if using, the sweetener of choice. Hand mix or use a hand held blender to combine the ingredients well to form a fluffy and smooth mousse.
- Fold in the salt and chilli flakes.
- Spoon into serving bowls or ramekins.
- Although the mousse may be served immediately, it’s best served after being chilled for the minimum of an hour in the refrigerator.
- Serve with low carb fruit toppings such as berries, and garnish with chilli flakes.