I set out to make the usual Paleo banana pancakes this morning, wanting a difference to the normal egg protein breakfasts. I guess the raw cacao powder glaring at me along with the coconut flour in my baking goods cupboard deserves recognition for these flapjacks or pancakes – it beckoned for me to use it!
This turned out to be an intimate breakfast for one – with singular ingredients, just enough to sate the appetite and create inspiration for the next make, which followed soon after the initial make. The ripe banana used in this recipe provided the only sweetening these flapjacks require. Topped with coconut cream and fruit of your choice, this is a star contender for quick and easy breakfast or tea treat flapjacks or pancakes. The ingredients below make two pancakes, double or triple the ingredients, exactly, and you have a serving for two to three persons.
This is a quick and easy, no fail make. The use of coconut oil lightly added to a non-stick frying pan, adds to the scrumptious taste of these flapjacks. I guarantee that you will want to make this time and time again
1 ripe, mashed banana
1 tblsp coconut flour
½ tblsp raw cacao powder OR unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of Himalayan or Sea Salt
1/8 – ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
1 tblsp coconut oil
- Add the mashed banana, coconut flour, cacao/cocoa powder, egg, vanilla extract, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into the small bowl of a food processor or blender and mix for about a minute, until smooth and well combined.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium stove top heat. Add in half a tablespoon coconut oil and allow to heat up.
- Pour half of the flapjack / pancake batter into the heated pan (I used a food mould ring to get the shape perfectly round).
- Cook until the underside of the flapjack is firm – this takes about 3 minutes. Then flip over and allow the other side to cook for another 3 minutes. Use the same method, with the remaining half a tablespoon coconut oil for the remainder of the flapjack batter.
- Remove onto absorbent kitchen towel, serve warm with coconut cream and a fruit topping of your choice, if preferred.