This amazing tasting cake-like pancake adapted from a German pancake recipe, is a no-fail indulgence for a protein packed breakfast, tea-time treat or as a sugar-craving soother that is free of sugar, gluten and dairy.
Easy to prepare, beginning on the stove top and baking in the oven, the ingredients are readily available and the toppings may be to individual choice. Crispy bacon or light veggies, like garlic, onion and fresh herbs may be added to the mixture before cooking and baking, if a savoury flavour is required. While almond flour is used in this recipe, along with coarsely shredded coconut, these may be omitted and replaced with a tablespoon of coconut flour, but this will affect the density of the pancake. You may double up the ingredients for a larger pancake, using a larger pan.
I served this make with fresh strawberries, topped with coconut cream, which was whisked, with a touch of vanilla extract and fresh passion fruit. It may be served with toppings of your choice or plain, if preferred.
The use of a cast iron or oven-proof pan is imperative in this recipe – and be sure to use oven gloves when removing the pan from the oven!
1 tbls coconut oil, or grass-fed butter
3 large eggs
2 tblsp almond milk OR coconut milk
2 tblsp almond flour OR 1 tblsp coconut flour
2 tblsp desiccated or roughly shredded sugar-free coconut
¼ tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
a sprinkle of cinnamon powder
pinch of Himalayan or Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200º celsius
- Melt the coconut oil in a small cast-iron or oven-proof pan over low stove-top heat
- Combine the eggs and all of the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and whisk together until combined – I used a hand mixer
- As the coconut oil begins to sizzle in the pan, pour in the batter.
- Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, to cook and firm-up the bottom pancake.
- Transfer the pan to the oven, and bake for about 15 minutes, until the top is golden and puffed up. The pancake will initially rise, but reduce in volume.
- Remove from the pan onto a plate and serve on its’ own or with toppings as favoured.