Crepe Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons almond or coconut milk (preservative free, sugar free)
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tblsp date paste or raw honey
1 tblsp almond oil or melted coconut oil
Crepe Dry Ingredients
2 tblsp coconut flour
2 tblsps cacao powder or preservatives and sugar free cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda OR Gluten-free baking powder (difficult to acquire in SA)
1/4 teaspoon flax flour (you may grind flax seeds to a flour state)
coconut oil to grease the pan
2 tblsp cacao powder or preservatives and sugar free cocoa powder
1 ½ tablespoons water
1 tblsp raw honey or 1-2 tblsp date paste
¼ cup Paleo Cream Cheese mixed with
1 tblsp berry compote made as follows:
- 350g fresh or frozen berries, chopped
- juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- 60ml date paste or honey
Bring the ingredients to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then blend to form the compote.
- Add the wet ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk them to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients, then whisk until smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the coconut and flax flours to thicken the mixture. The consistency should be runny, much thinner than pancake batter.
- Preheat a small non-stick pan or a pancake pan on medium-low heat.
- Once heated, lightly grease with coconut oil. Pour the batter into a ¼-cup measuring cup, then pour from the measuring cup into the pre-heated pan.
- Moving quickly, pick up the pan and angle it, turning in a circular motion to allow the batter to run along the sides. Set back on the stove and cook for 5-6 minutes. You do not want the crepe to begin cracking. This is a sign that it was cooked too long. Once the crepe is firm to the touch, it’s ready! I found that 5 minutes worked perfectly, but it could vary depending on your stove.
- Once the crepe is ready, lift the sides with a plastic spatula and begin rolling the crepe in on itself. Once it’s rolled up, carefully transfer it to a clean plate.
- Wipe the pan clean and repeat.
- While the crepes are cooking, prepare the chocolate sauce by combining ingredients in a small dish. Set aside. Do the same with the berry mascarpone.
- Serve as desired with berry mascarpone and drizzled with chocolate sauce.