3 cups almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¾ cup raw cacao powder
½ – ¾ cup raw honey, not pourable – more solid state
2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp Himalayan or Sea salt
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup coconut milk, preservatives and sugar free
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 tsps vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°Celsius
- Grease the base and sides of a small to medium springform round cake tin with coconut oil and line the bottom with baking paper
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, raw cacao powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract and honey, giving the eggs extra effort as it makes the cake less dense.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into wet ingredients to form a batter with a spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes. If you see that the cake is still not fully baked and you need to cook it longer, cover cake with aluminium foil to prevent burning the top and lower the heat to 160°C. Cook until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake cool completely, then spread the chocolate ganache. At this stage you may choose to cut the cake in half horizontally, spread the ganache over the bottom half of the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes, then top with other half of cake. You may choose to top the cake with whipped coconut cream and decorate with toasted blanched almonds or coconut.
400ml coconut milk, preservatives and sugar free
2 tblsps raw honey
4 tblsps raw cacao powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using a small non-stick pot or saucepan over medium stove-top heat, bring the coconut milk and honey to a light boil.
- Simmer on low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally. Do not cover the pot. You will know you cooked it long enough when the coconut milk is reduced to half and has a thicker consistency and darker colour.
- Add in the raw cacao powder and vanilla extract and mix well until all is combined and smooth.
- Allow the ganach to cool and refrigerate until cake is well cooled and ready to be topped.