Sweet Potato Noodles = Swoodles? This follows the caroodles (carrot noodles) and zoodles (zuchinni /courgette noodles). A fantastic choice in a stir-fry or Thai-inspired noodle dish!
With the aim of still getting my sweet potato mojo on, I prepared two meals with sweet potato this week. This is one of them. These sweet potato noodles were tried in the past in various flavouring combinations, and, I found it much more palatable than mashed, even roasted sweet potato, and that the state of readiness of these lower glycemic index carbohydrates may be controlled as desired, brings more appeal to over-done and soft sweet potato. Al-dente worked perfectly for me in this amazing tasting dish.
That this may be a totally vegan noodle dish, omitting the chicken and adding crisp vegetables of choice is also appealing! For an exotic seafood noodle dish, add prawns or shrimp!
The coconut milk or coconut cream and green curry paste blend, with fresh lime zest brings this meal alive, a palate- pleaser indeed!
I used my Sprya-Gyra to get the curled noodles (using the medium blade for thinner noodles) but as the pictures below indicate,as does the GEFU Spirelli, spiral peeler. A vegetable peeler like the Verimark Shogun Power Peeler works just as well, producing straight-cut spaghetti-like noodles.
Mae Ploy green curry paste which is free of sugar and emulsifiers as well as Mayfair brand coconut milk are the among the main flavouring ingredients.
From preparation to fully cooked, the time spent on this meal was 30 minutes. It’s also an easy to put together meal based on the number of ingredients and quick cooking method. An uncomplicated, yet amazing tasting dish.
3 to 4 small -medium size sweet potatoes, peeled and spralised
1 tablespoon coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-sized onion or red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon freshly ground garlic and ginger
2/3 cup coconut cream (the top thickened portion of coconut milk – preferably home made)
1/2 – 1 tablespoon green curry paste (preservatives and sugar free
Zest of 1 lime
¼ teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt, to taste
300-400g cooked chicken or prawns (I used chicken breast – omit for the vegan option)
Fresh coriander leaves (chopped) for garnishing
small handful chopped, raw almonds or raw cashews
- Peel the sweet potato’s, dab them dry and spiralize the sweet potatoes into noodles.
- Steam the noodles for 2 to 3 minutes on the stove, then immediately remove them and place them in a colander or wire sieve. You may also blanch the noodles in rapidly boiling water for the same amount of time.
- Heat the coconut oil or olive oil in a non-stick pan or pot over medium stove-top heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute until softened and very fragrant, for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, green curry paste, lime zest, and salt and bring to a full boil. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Add the cooked chicken and mix well to coat with the sauce, then add the sweet potato noodles and stir carefully.
- Cook until the noodles are done as desired, for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander and if preferred, nuts of choice and serve hot.