The Sweet potato noodles or swoodles, inspired the second of attempts in including sweet potato into my lifestyle. Grating sweet potato as with cauliflower, produces riced sweet potato which may be cooked in flavourings that suit individual tastes, creating an attractive difference in preparing sweet potato and adding variety to meals which include sweet potato.
I grated the sweet potato using a hand held cheese grater, while a food processor may be used if preferred. This produced a grated “cheese” looking sweet potato rice, which works well in cooking it, without it becoming soft and mushy.
This Asian-inspired rice with zesty lime and subtle flavouring of garlic,coriander and paprika, the latter which alters both the hue and the taste to boring white sweet potato, combines beautifully to create an amazing tasting riced sweet potato. A combination of orange and white sweet potato will further enhance the colour of this dish. Tossed in the fresh lime juice and spices before cooking, and stir fried (I opted for coconut oil) until your preference of readiness, makes this another side dish to accompany your protein or other vegetable choice, a desirable veggie-rice option.
2 medium-sized Sweet potatoes
Juice of 1 fresh lime (1/2 may be used, if preferred)
1/2 tsp coriander powder and/or cumin powder (You may wish to omit the cumin powder if using cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp garlic power or garlic flakes
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
Himalayan or Sea salt to taste
1-2 tblsp fresh coriander, chopped OR fresh flat-leaf parsley OR fresh basil leaves
1-2 tblsp coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
- Peel, wash and grate the sweet potatoes using the large pores of your greater or use your food processor with grater attachment
- Add the grated sweet potatoes into a dish and toss in the lime juice and seasonings, allowing for an even coating of all the ingredients. You will notice that the sweet potato has come to life with colour
- Heat your oil of choice in a non-stick pan or wok on medium stove-top heat, add in the cumin seeds if using, and bring them to a mild, aromatic splatter
- Add the riced sweet potato in small handfuls, stirring until all the sweet potato has been added.
- When the sweet potato rice has softened, add the chopped coriander and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season with Himalayn or Sea salt to taste, and serve as desired.