Cheesy-Coconut Baby Marrow / Courgette chips [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Sugar free]
This recipe is an adaption of one of a few tried and tested gluten and dairy snacks and side items that I have adapted over the recent past. The “cheesy” coating has worked well in protein and vegetables to add variety in zhoosing up my meals. Nutritional yeast flakes once again blends in superbly to create the cheese taste in this recipe, and the amount used may be adjusted to suit individual tastes.
Coconut oil is the oil of choice to fry these chips in. The high boiling point of the oil makes frying these quick and as seen in the pictures, they may be lightly fried or crispy, as required. Making these in large quantities also works well to have savory snacks on hand for a sating of cravings.
A nutty, flavour-filled delight in crispy courgette chips, makes this a moreish treat too!
2 eggs, whisked
2 cups baby marrow, thinly sliced into rounds or strips
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp Himalayan or Sea salt, to taste
Coconut oil for frying
Optional: Chilli, mustard or paprika powders or dried herbs added to the coconut flour mixture, as preferred.
- Heat the coconut oil on mid stove-top heat
- Add 2 eggs to a bowl or shallow plate and whisk well
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut flour, nutritional yeast flakes and salt (other seasoning may be added now)
- Dip the baby marrow / courgettes in the egg, coating well and toss in the coconut flour mixture.
- Fry in the heated, shallow oil until golden brown for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side
- Remove once cooked and place on kitchen paper towel for any excess oil to be absorbed.
- Serve as desired.