Having had much success with Cashew Mayonnaise, which was inspired from my copies of raw foods cookbooks and numerous Vegan recipes, and often feeling the want for dairy yogurt, a non-dairy alternative in this cashew nut yogurt is a delight in both preparation and taste. While the raw cashew nuts for the mayonnaise requires a short two hours of soaking in water, this recipe requires that the nuts are soaked overnight (I have tried the same with raw, skinless almonds and they worked just as well).
The psyillum husks gel used in thickening this ýogurt provide a fabulous gelatinous texture, similar to Chia seeds and adds a very delicious creaminess to the yogurt that is kind of key to this recipe. You could make it without, but it won’t be as creamy. Psyllium husks powder is a good source of fiber and contribute to good intestinal health.
This “Cashewgurt” is an easy and quick recipe with a deliciously dairy-like yogurt texture and taste. Chilled, served with granola or fresh fruit, you will indeed enjoy this delectable non-dairy yogurt treat. Just as addictive as nut-butter, so proceed with caution
1,5 cups raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight (8-12 hours)
2 tblsp freshly sqeezed lemon juice or more to taste
Approximately 150ml water (I used some of the water that the dates were soaked in)
2 fresh soft medjool dates or soaked dried dates, pitted
1 pinch sea salt
1/2 tsp psyllium husks powder + 100ml water
- Combine the psyllium husks powder and water in a small bowl and stir until it thickens into a gel.
- Add the soaked cashew nuts into the jug a high speed blender or food process0r (or in a bowl and use an immersion hand blender).
- Add the lemon juice, water, dates and sea salt and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the psyllium gel and stir to combine.
- Spoon into two serving bowls or glasses, chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Serve with a nut and banana granola and / or fresh fruit.