If you are missing out on mashed potatoes, this recipe is a flavour-some and simple replacement to the high glycemic carb-laden starchy kind. Also known as Carb Lover’s Cauliflower, this recipe features in The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain PhD, and is a favourite among those following a low carbohydrate, gluten and sugar free lifestyle.
The addition of marrow helps to thicken the mash without the use of processed starches. For a totally vegan recipe, replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Served with Lamb chops or a beef fillet, and a fresh salad , this mash will satisfy lovers of meat and potatoes! I’ve opted to serve it with fish and it’s equally good tasting!
2 cups cauliflower florets
6-8 small baby marrow or assorted courgette squash
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 cup chicken stock (preservative and sugar free, preferably home made)
2 tblsp finely chopped chives
Freshly ground black pepper and Himalayan or Sea Salt, to taste
- Add the cauliflower and baby marrow preferably to a steamer with a double bowl and steam for 10-15 minutes, until tender. You may steam them separately in a steamer on on the stove top, in a steamer basket inserted into a large pot of boiling water.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium stove top heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes
- Turn off the stove and cover the pot.
- When both the cauliflower and marrow are cool, add them to a blender or food processor with the chicken stock. Add in the garlic and oil mixture and puree until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture back into the pot and heat on low on your stove top, stirring ocassionally.
- Season with chives and black pepper and Himalayan or Sea salt, if required and serve as desired.