Having had much success with the Cauliflower pizza base, and using coconut flour and chia seeds in the past with that particular base, I decided to try out a base using grated baby marrows, following the method I used for making cauliflower dumplingsthat I add to my lamb stew. I often struggle to use up the baby marrow that comes in many instead of singles at the supermarket or veggie stores, so this was a welcome and great-tasting way to use up my supply!
Baby marrow releases loads of water when grated, so the process of draining out all excess liquid should be followed well to create a perfect thin and crisp base that is hyper low carb.
This recipe is easy to follow and quick to prepare. The almond flour added bulk as well as a nutty and lightly crunchy flavourful taste to this pizza base.
Toppings of choice work well with this base – I used a home made relish and minced lamb cooked with veggies in a Thai green curry paste, topped with sliced mushrooms. This pizza base is totally fabulous tasting, even better than the cauliflower version!
½-3/4 cup almond flour
½ tsp basil or Italian herbs or oreganum
¼ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp Himalayan or salt (you don’t need much because the marrow will retain some)
- Add the grated baby marrow (I used my food processor to pulse the baby marrow) in a sieve or large strainer.
- Sprinkle the baby marrow with some salt, mix well to combine.
- Place the strainer over a vegetable prep bowl or a large dish, and let the baby marrow drain for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius
- Place the grated baby marrow into a dry dish towel, and wring the towel over the sink until the water is squeezed out.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add almond flour as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
- On a baking paper-lined baking sheet, spread the baby marrow mix out into an oval shape and press it down to compact it as well.
- Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Then place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven for about 8 minutes, until browned.
- Remove and flip the pizza base.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the base.
- Turn the oven up to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Top the pizza with sauce of choice, vegetables,meat and cheese if using
- Place the baking sheet back into the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 3-4 minutes. Again, place the tray on the top rack for about 2 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let everything set.
- Slice, serve with a salad and enjoy!!