Comfort food for the cold snap that South Africa is currently experiencing need not be unhealthy! Looking for creative ways to zhoosh up chicken I liked the idea of this recipe found on the internet and decided to give it a try. The simplicity of this casserole which I adapted, coupled with the use of onions and leeks, cooked in coconut oil gives this meal an awesome flavour. Of course, the coconut milk blends beautifully into this baked casserole, making this much of a moreish healthy meal too!
I found this casserole easy to prepare and enjoyable – I have never eaten so much celery and leeks in my history as compared to that of the recent past and I am thoroughly liking it!!! You may double the ingredient quantities for a larger quantity meal.
This rates equal to my amazing Chicken ala King!
1-2 tblsp coconut oil
500g boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion chopped
2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped and rinsed well
2 celery stalks, chopped
200g mushrooms, cut up if large
1 tsp crushed garlic / garlic paste
200ml preservative and sugar free coconut milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 carrots, chopped
Fresh herbs and spices as desired
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate to rest, leaving the oil in the pot.
- Add another tablespoon of coconut oil to the pot and return to the stove. Add all your chopped vegetables, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and start browning, takes about 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Allow the coconut milk to come to a light boil and thicken up a bit, cooking for about 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer in the coconut milk, arrange the chicken pieces in the bottom of a casserole or baking dish, then pour your vegetables-coconut mixture on top.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes until the casserole is bubbling.
Serve with your choice of sides and Enjoy!