Carrot & Pecan Nut Muffins [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grains free, Sugar free]
I have been trying a combination of nut flours, some that fail but others that are very successful. A combination of various recipes assisted in me putting this pretty awesome tasting carrot and pecan nut muffin together
There is something different in this muffin recipe – wanting to gauge the outcome of cashew flour in this recipe, I made my own cashew flour by blending raw cashew nuts to flour consistency in my food processor. Almond flour will work well too, although I have not attempted it. The mix of the dates, and coconut milk, combined with the pecan nuts and carrots made this a totally decadent muffin treat!
Another guilt-free craving indulgence that will also attract those who are not following a Paleo or low carb lifestyle and definitely a recipe you will want to try. The muffins turned out lightly dense and moist in texture and delicious in taste. Increasing the ingredients and adding to a round cake pan may produce a carrot cake delight!
Enjoy trying out this recipe , although it tastes yummy on it’s own, you may serve with fresh fruit, a dollop of coconut cream and/or nut butter of your choice.
2 large carrots
1 cup pitted medjool dates, pitted and soaked in water for one hour or 3/4 cup date paste
1/2 cup raw pecan nuts
1/4 cup sugar and preservative free almond or coconut milk
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup cashew flour (add raw cashews to a food processor and blend to flour consistency) OR Almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda or 1/2 tsp cream of tartar mixed with 1 1/2 tsp bicarb
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Himalayan or sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180° celsius.
- Lightly grease your muffin pans or use the silicon variety.
- Chop the carrots into smaller pieces and add them to a food processor or grate them if you prefer – although grating renders them too fine once pulsed with the dates. Remove the pits from the dates (or once the carrots have chopped, add the date paste) – and add those to the carrot pieces in the food processor. Turn the processor on high until you have a well processed carrot and date batter. Add the pecan nuts and pulse for about 20 seconds to break down into small pieces.
- Transfer the carrot/date/pecan batter into a separate mixer if using or continue using your food processor with the carrot date pecan mix, and add all the wet ingredients. Mix on a medium speed until the mixture is well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and continue to mix until it’s completely blended. The batter should be slightly thick and chunky.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pans to completely fill each muffin pan. If filling to the top, this mixture yields 10 muffins.
- Bake at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes. The muffins will pass the toothpick test when ready and will be dark brown in colour.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving.