I waited a long time to find THE banana bread recipe that is free of preservatives and gluten, poring through so many recipes until I found this perfect one – the ingrediets listing piqued my interest into trying it out and I’m so glad that I did! The pre-cursor to making this bread was making an applesauce that is unsweetened. I tried this recipe out with a few family members and they loved it! This recipe is a slight adaption of a French Canadian healthy meal fanatic Sonia, the Healthy Foodie – whose passion for gluten free foods has made her somewhat of a health foods aficionado.
I particularly enjoyed the moist decadence created by the applesauce and coconut milk in this recipe and the first loaf I baked was wiped out within minutes of it emerging from the oven, by non-gluten and non- sugar-free eaters.
I am glad I waited for the right banana bread recipe to come my way – I am hardly a fan of banana bread but this light, moist, decadent loaf is a delight in gluten-free and refined sugar-free banana bread and once you try it, this will be your choicest recipe in banana breads, guaranteed!
3/4 cup coconut flour
¼ cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
½ cup almond flour
2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp Himalayan or sea salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup raisins
2 medium-ripe bananas
2 very ripe bananas
3 large eggs
½ cup coconut milk or almond milk (preferably homemade, preservatives free, sugar free)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract
2 tbsp unsweetened dessicated coconut or coconut flakes
2-3 tbsp finely chopped almonds, pecans or pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 176-180 degrees celsius. Line a loaf pan with baking paper or grease well with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix flours, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Add walnuts and raisins and stir until well coated and set aside.
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine all the wet ingredients and process until very smooth.
- Add that to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until well combined, no more.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with coconut and chopped nuts.
- Place in the oven and bake 70-75 minutes, until the center is set (a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf should come out clean).
- Set loaf on a wire rack and let it cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing it. Finish cooling on the rack and transfer to the refrigerator, where it will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
- Serve warm or cold – for an ultimate banana bread treat, a spread of nut butter is desirous.