Cauliflower and Leek Soup [Dairy free, Gluten free, Grain free, Sugar free]
This soup is amazingly silky smooth and fabulous tasting in its’ simplicity and minimal ingredients.
The fresh cauliflower and leek combination, with the added chicken stock brings out such gorgeous flavours. I tried this recipe as a thickened version with less stock last week and the result was a silky smooth cauli-leek mash. It was heaven on a plate in cauli-mash and really put the spotlight on reversing bad eating habits and incorporating whole foods into a lifestyle change, especially reversing that of the starchy potato variety! For a vegetarian option use home made vegetable stock .
This was a quick easy soup make while supervising the kids’ homework and enlisting the elder son to blend the soup with an immersion blender – making it a fun family try out!
This is another Winter low-carb soup treasure you will enjoy with gusto!
1 large cauliflower cut into florets (about 650g)
5 leeks ( white portion, thinly sliced)
1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
2-3 tblsp ghee or grass fed butter
Freshly ground black pepper and Himalayan or Sea Salt to taste
About 1 litre home made chicken stock
Italian parsley or finely sliced spring onion to garnish
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large pot and add the onion and leeks.
- Saute for 10 minutes and add a generous grinding of salt and pepper.
- Add the cauliflower and chicken stock and simmer with the pot lid on for about half an hour until the cauliflower has softened.
- Using an immersion/stick blender, blend the soup well – you may add more stock or water if the soup is too thick but the above ingredient mix worked well to make the perfect soup.
- Garnish with Italian parsley or spring onion and serve