Being processed bread free for more than 10 months now, and not craving any bread products or alternatives in a while, but looking for alternatives to my breakfasts, I came across a recipe for a breakfast muffin which I adapted slightly to accommodate a Paleo lifestyle. Making this “McMuffin” is quick and easy and the exciting part was the bicarbonate soda and apple cider baking powder replacement which is a definite change from just the ordinary bicarbonate of soda addition -which I will take forward in making other gluten free baked goods. The added speed of cooking this in a microwave is also very appealing for those wanting a quick and easy no mess no fuss bread alternative. This recipe makes one McMuffin which is sufficient as a breakfast addition or a lunch time sandwich combined with a crisp salad or a cup of soup.
Melt the butter, ghee or oil in a round, glass or ceramic ramekin.
- In a separate small bowl mix the bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar together ( it will be very fizzy and bubbly) and set this mixture aside.
- Add all the rest of ingredients to the ramekin, and whisk or stir with a fork very briskly.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda- apple cider vinegar mixture to the ramekin, and stir in well.
- Stir, scraping sides , until the mixture is lump free.
- Cook in a microwave oven for 1 minute and 30 Seconds, or you may bake it at 180 degrees celsius for 12 to 15 minutes, until the middle is firm.
- Cool the McMuffin enough to for you to handle, and cut it in half sideways.
- You may toast this McMuffin in a lightly oiled frying pan, until lightly browned on each side ( like a pancake) which is actually quite great tasting.