I am fond of veggies for breakfast and tend to often abstain from meats – the challenge that I find is that keeping a stock of fresh vegetable without going on a bi-weekly shop to ensure I get really fresh produce, is often frustrating.
Mushrooms feature often in my meals, lightly grilled with flavoured olive oil is the best kind for me. They also feature as buns for my burger days and the larger the brown mushroom, the better!
An egg dish that I particularly enjoy is a spicy one, most of my meals include green or red chillies, the spicier, the better – I put this down to my traditional upbringing where chilli features prominently in our meals.
This filling and nutritious mushroom breakfast is oven-grilled mushrooms, filled with eggs, scrambled in a cherry tomato, chilli, onion and fresh coriander mix.
Mushrooms – large brown, stem removed and gills scraped off, wiped clean with a kitchen towel
2 tbslp olive oil, plain or infused, divided
1/4 onion sliced
3-5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
2 eggs, whisked
1-2 tblsp chopped coriander
Himalayan Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, add to all the mushrooms and grill for 5 minutes under a hot oven grill for approximately 5-8 minutes. The mushrooms will soften and reduce in size
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to a pan on the stove top, allow to heat up, then add in the onion and chilli, cooking until they soften and are translucent.
- Add in your tomato and cook unti (if you prefer) a gravy consistency has been reached or you may cook your tomato to your choice of consistency.
- Then add in your egg (you may add in a tablespoon or two of cold water before whisking to create a fluffy consistency) and fresh coriander, then seasoning and cook until done, using a spoon to create the scrambled eggs.
- Add to the grilled mushrooms, dividing the eggs in equal quantities.
- Serve immediately.