Always keen to try out recipes that engage me through their ingredients and factoring it into my lifestyle change, mindful that I am processed bread-free for over 230 days now and looking at ways of adding extra fibre to my meals, I came across this recipe in my copy of Professor Tim Noakes’ and others The Real Meal Revolution book, which focuses on the Banting eating plan, started by William Banting who beat obesity and his bread addiction.
Having used the similar recipe for my 1 minute Microwave Flax Muffin before, this is an adjustment of the quantities of similar ingredients that I have used. The Real Meal Revolution recipe calls for the use of Stevia, which I have excluded due to being sugar-free in my eating plan as well as milled flax seeds – I used my supply of flax flour. I added sesame seeds for variation. The bread does not keep long left outside and for optimum eating over a longer period of time, it is best to cut into slices once cooled, wrap in aluminium foil and freeze, to be toasted when you want to have the need for guilt-free zero carb bread or toast.
According to the recipe, this loaf contains 47g of carbs.
2 cups flax flour or ground flax seed (if using flax seeds, grind them immediately before use)
5 egg whites
5 tbs olive or coconut oil
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 – 1 tsp Stevia (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- In a food processor, mix the dry ingredients together
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix well until a dough batter is formed.
- Pat the mixture into a well greased loaf tin and bake until it is well cooked, for 30 minutes.
- You may use a skewer in the centre of the loaf to determine if it’s ready.
- Remove from loaf tin and cool. Slice and use as desired, remembering to foil and freeze for later use.