Since trying the Atkins diet a few years ago, I amassed tried and tested recipes from those who had successfully tried healthier alternatives to all types of processed foods, and those high in carbs. A couple of days ago I was going through my hand written recipe book (yes I still use those!) and came across a recipe for a pizza base using Spinach instead of Cauliflower.
I decided to try it out this morning and it’s currently baking in the oven and was glad that my old pizza pan would be put to use after years in hibernation (much like me)!
200g raw chopped washed spinach leaves
1 egg (large)
Spices (I used salt and pepper, dried origanum and garlic flakes – go easy on the seasonings though)
1 used 2 Italian tomato’s, garlic and hot green chilli (you could omit the chili)
Anything of your choice really.
Onion, bacon, any veg that complements spinach. I used a few sliced mushrooms and asparagus tips in this pizza however, mushrooms release juices when cooking and this could make the pizza base soggy.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- The recipe calls for lining the pizza pan with parchment paper. I did not have parchment paper and greased the pizza pan lightly with olive oil.
- In a blender puree spinach until it’s baby food consistency
- Add egg and spices and mix well
- Spread evenly, slowly and carefully onto pizza pan.
- Bake at 220 degrees in a preheated over for about 15 minutes
- You may prepare the pizza sauce by blending tomatoes and garlic until smooth. Spread over cooked crust, with toppings of choice.
- Place back in the oven and grill until toppings are warmed and pizza slightly crisped.
You can make this another yummy addition to your list of healthy recipes.