This morning I decided on something different that the otherwise poached, fried, scrambled eggs. Checking the contents of my month end refrigerator I discovered green peppers, eggs and boneless and skinless chicken thighs and decided to make a spicy combination of breakfast muffins.
Call them muffins, mini frittatas, or crustless mini quiches – whatever their name, these are the most convenient way to have eggs in the morning. Make the whole dozen and stick half in the freezer. Microwave them for one minute and you have an amazing hot breakfast!
This recipe serves 6 (2 Muffins per serving – or more if you prefer!) I didn’t do actual measurements and it was more the eye experiment and a blend of flavours to suit your tastebuds. The best thing about these breakfast muffins, is that you can make your own combinations, as your mood and tastebuds dictate!
2 chicken thighs or mini breasts, skinless
1/2 to one green pepper finely chopped
1/2 an onion finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
1-2 tblsp olive oil (coconut oil may be used)
6 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1//4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Spices for flavouring:
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
a sprinkle of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Dice the chicken into bite size or smaller pieces
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs together add the salt and pepper and set aside
- In a non stick pan, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds to sizzle point, about 2 minutes
- Add and sauté the onions, chilli, green peppers until soft
- Add the diced chicken and the spices for flavouring
- Cook for 10 minutes and set aside to cool
- Once cool, add the chicken mixture to the eggs and mix well
- Spoon the mixture with even distribution into a 12 serving non-stick or greased muffin tin (I used the silicon variety)
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until eggs are cooked.